Cal/OSHA Consultation Service
Employers who need help developing, improving or maintaining a safe and healthful place of employment can obtain free professional assistance from the Cal/OSHA Consultation Service. Consultative assistance is provided to employers through on-site visits, telephone support, publications, eTools and educational outreach. All services provided by Cal/OSHA Consultation are provided free of charge to California employers on any of the issues or activities described in the Cal/OSHA Guide to Developing Your Workplace Injury and Illness Prevention Program.
Cal/OSHA consultants help employers by:
- Identifying actual and potential safety or health hazards in the workplace and finding solutions to eliminate or control them.
- Identifying sources of help for employers in further technical assistance is needed.
- Providing a written report summarizing the finding of any consultation visit.
- Interpreting applicable safety and health standards.
- Helping establish or improve worksite Injury and Illness Prevention Programs.
- Helping develop and/or conduct safety and health training of both supervisory and non-supervisory personnel.All services of the Cal/OSHA Consultation Service are entirely separate and distinct from the enforcement activities of the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH).Consultants do not issue citations or assess penalties, and they do not inform DOSH of their work with an employer.Any employer who has had a survey performed by the Cal/OSHA Consultation Service and has an effective Injury and Illness Prevention Program in operation, will greatly reduce the likelihood of citations or penalties if inspected by DOSH.Employers with fixed worksites and 250 or fewer employees at a specific worksite, can now become exempt from a DOSH discretionary compliance inspection by participating in a voluntary compliance program.To obtain assistance or information from the Cal/OSHA Consultation Service, you can do so by calling the toll-free assistance number: 1-800-963-9424. If you want to arrange an on-site visit or obtain technical information, you can contact the Cal/OSHA Consultation area office nearest your workplace or you can email Cal/OSHA at InfoCons@dir.ca.gov.